Breast Size and Upper Back Pain…What’s the Solution?
Large breasts can place excess weight on the chest. Without enough support from the surrounding muscles and the rest of the body, the weight of the breasts can cause severe pain, making it difficult to maintain good posture and in some cases leading to spinal deformity. Many large breasted women are self conscious about their breasts, which makes them hunch forward to hide their chest, which increases the pain intensity.
Women with large breasts not only suffer from severe pain in their necks and backs, but also from bra-straps that dig into their skin, making them unable to engage in many day to day activities.
Many researches indicate that large breasts can cause a chain-reaction of painful indicators, as the human body tries to balance an abnormal position by shifting the curvature of the spinal cord.
How can you ease the pain
If you are suffering from back or neck pain caused by outsized breasts, there are many options available, from changing your lifestyle to medical treatment and physical therapy. Here is some thing that might be useful,
Choosing the right supportive bra
- Push up bras are more supportive as compared to normal bras, due to additional padding in the cup. This characteristic makes push up bras very useful for women who have bigger breasts and can use some added support. It is a very common misconception among women that push up bras are only for small breasts. The reality is that push up bras can showcase a big chest in the best possible way, and because of added support they can help women who suffer from back and neck pain.
- If you have issues with back pain and want comfort plus good support, a good back support bra would be perfect option for you. It helps you maintain a good posture and minimizes back pain in most of the cases. A back support bra can even help with troubles in your spinal discs.
- Sports bras are very effective when it comes to relieving back, neck and shoulder pain during running and other workouts. No matter what size you are, it is essential to wear a proper sports bra during exercise because it distributes the breasts weight among back, neck and shoulders. To find the perfect size it is necessary to make sure that bra doesn't cause breathing issues and not hurt the underarm area.
- If your breast size is very large, invest in a custom made bra which is especially designed for your body. Custom bras are pretty helpful when it comes to women with narrow backs.
Outsmarting back pain through physical therapy
Physical therapy and workout with a professional trainer can improve your posture and encourage weight loss, which eventually helps with back and neck pain.
- Your spine is mostly supported by neck, back, shoulder and chest muscles and by strengthening them you can minimize neck and upper back pain issues. Most physical therapists recommend Isometric exercises, these are exercises where you push against some resistance without flexing or extending your muscles.
- Aerobic workouts are also an essential part of any plan to prevent back pain. These are series of exercises that help enhance blood flow in your body especially your spinal disks.
- Other useful back exercises include shoulder roll, butterfly, Arm slides and thoracic extension.
Medical treatment and surgery
- Taking a painkiller for occasional back pain is fine but avoid strong medication for longer periods of time.
- Breast reduction surgery is the only permanent way to get rid of severe upper back pain and it is often recommended to women with large breasts size. A research published by American society of plastic surgeons found that more than 90 percent of women subjects were satisfied with their breast reduction surgery.
If you are suffering from back and neck pain because of large breasts, consult with your doctor and devise a plan that will be effective for you.